Experienced software developers can now enter the world of PHP programming. Learn how to use the PHP scripting language and the compilation & presentation environment.
Students will learn the PHP programming conventions & syntax. Attendees will use their favourite editors to assist in learning, as well as in the creation of end-user applications.
Presented by a principal software development engineer & trainer, "Introduction to PHP for Developers" presents an insightful, hands-on approach to using PHP to quickly create both Internet & stand-alone applications.
Pricing based upon attendance.
United States & Canada.
Discover the fundamentals of using PHP scripting keywords, constructs, and command-line tools. Learn how to integrate PHP into you favourite editing tools.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand how PHP works.
- Understand the basic syntax of PHP.
- Create dynamic interactive pages with PHP.
- Manipulate files with PHP.
- Work with arrays in PHP.
- Validate forms with PHP.
- Write functions in PHP.
- Manipulate and manage database data with PHP.
- Authenticate users with PHP.
- Manage sessions with PHP.
- Work with the MDB2 package.
- Use advanced form validation with regular expressions.
- Send email with PHP.
- How PHP Works
- The php.ini File
- Basic PHP Syntax
- PHP Tags, Statements and Whitespace
- Variables & Variable Types
- Constants, Variable Scope, & Superglobals
- Variable-Testing and Manipulation Functions
- PHP Operators
- Creating Dynamic Pages
- Single Quotes, Double Quotes, & Comments
- Passing Variables
- Keywords & Conditional Processing
- Working with Loops
- Break and continue
- Enumerated Arrays
- Initializing Arrays
- Appending to an Array
- Reading from Arrays
- Looping through Arrays
- Working with Enumerated Arrays
- Associative Arrays
- Reading from Associative Arrays
- Array Manipulation Functions
PHP and HTML Forms
- HTML Forms
- How HTML Forms Work
- Form Variables
- Processing Form Input
- Formatting Strings
- String Manipulation Functions
- Examples of String Functions
- Working with String Manipulation Functions
- Magic Quotes
Reusing Code and Writing Functions
- Including Files
- User Functions
- Defining and Calling Functions
- By Reference vs. By Value
- Form Validation and Presentation Functions
- Querying a Database
- mysqli Methods and Properties
- Inserting and Updating Records
- mysqli Prepared Statements
- Inserting Records
- Advantages and Disadvantages of MDB2
- When not to use a database abstraction layer?
- Using MDB2
- Creating a Customer Report
Authentication with PHP and SQL
- A Database-less Login Form
- Authenticating Users
- Perl-compatible Regular Expression Functions
- Regular Expression Syntax
- Form Validation Functions with Regular Expressions
Session Control and Cookies
- Authentication with Session Control
Sending Email with PHP
- Shortcomings of mail()
- Sending a Password by Email
File System Management
- Opening a File
- Reading from a File
- Writing to a File
- File Locking
- Getting File Information
- More File Functions